Canada 3-4 USA (AET) – London 2012 Olympic Women’s Football, Semi-Final (6th August 2012) (125 posts)

• Profile picture of Women's Soccer United Women’s Soccer United said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Canada knocked out hosts Team GB in the quarter-final of the London 2012 Olympic women’s football tournament, they now face CONCACAF rivals USA in the semi-final on Monday 6th August at the famous Old Trafford Stadium (19:45 local time).

USA and Canada will be a rematch of this year’s CONCACAF final, where USA won 4-0. These teams also met in their final pre-Olympic send off match (in June 2012), this was a much closer contest and could easily have ended a draw or even a win for Canada.  

USA have won all their London 2012 Olympic matches so far whilst Canada suffered a loss to Japan in the group stage and a great comeback draw against Sweden. The most impressive game for Canada was the quarter-final against Great Britain, against a team that were yet to concede in the tournament so far and with a strong crowd of support behind them it could have been daunting for the Canadians. 

USA are at their fifth consecutive Olympic semi-final, they will be determined to advance to the final and win its fourth Olympic gold medal (third in a row). 

Canada Starting Line-up
    USA Starting Line-up

Mcleod,
    Moscato,
    Wilkinson,
    Matheson,
    Sesselmann,
    Scott,
    Sinclair (c),
    Schmidt,
    Tancredi,
    Filigno,
    Nault

Solo,
    Rampone (c),
    O’Hara,
    Le Peilbet,
    Lloyd,
    Cheney,
    Morgan,
    Wambach,
    Rapinoe,
    Buehler,
    Heath

Take a look at both teams full London 2012 Olympic Women’s Football squad, Canada / USA

Officials:
    Referee - PEDERSEN Christiana (NOR),
    Assistant Referee 1 - STEINLUND Hege (NOR),
    Assistant Referee 2 - ROJC Lada (CRO),
    4th Official - HONG Eun Ah (KOR)

Live Match Updates:

Women’s Soccer United will provide live updates on Twitter and Facebook.
    You can also follow and join in with our live commentary in the comment wall below.

Broadcasts:

Details of this live broadcast will be published in the comment wall below by WSU and/or our members, we will provide as much information as we can about all the live broadcasts for the matches. Check out the full women’s Olympic football schedule. 

Full-time:

Canada 3-4 USA (AET)

(Sinclair 22′, 68′, 73′, Rapinoe 54′, 70′, Wambach 80′, Morgan 120+3′)

Highlights:

© Women’s Soccer United

What are your views? Leave your comments below 

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Canada is probably the best to challenge USA on its own ground : physical impact. And they have the habit to meet them.

Their last match was very close and the Canucks could feel some self-confidence. They let their brutal playing down and started to really play. And they are really good ! Of course, Sinclair and Tancredi are powerful but we also saw an excellent Filigno against GB. And small Diana Matheson is a little gem.

I said it before, I’m not really convinced by the US team so far. Of course, it’s powerful and it has a fantastic trio in attack (Rapinoe, Morgan, Wambach). But there is no real fluidity in their game, it relies too much on speed forward. I keep thinking that their mental can be broken, even if they often play better in hard circumstances. it’s a deceptive paradox.

At the beginning of the tournament, I would have been neutral in front of this match. But I really liked Canada’s match against Sweden and GB. Hence,I’ll support them.

• Profile picture of Elena Kelly Elena Kelly said 1 year, 8 months ago:

I had the good fortune to visit Vancouver in January for the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying games. USA dominated, not allowing a single goal to be scored against them through the tournament. I also saw the friendly in June vs. Canada. So I was wondering when was the last time Canada beat USA (because I don’t ever remember it), and according to wiki, they have defeated USA 3 times, had 1 draw, and lost 43 times to USA. That said, Canada are a very strong team and they know USA’s style of play very well. It’s always exciting to see these two play. They both have attacking offenses that make for many “that should have been a goal” moments. Frankly, I think it will be more exciting than France vs. Japan, but as they say, save the best for last! Hopefully the Final will be the very best. I’d like to see USA win over Japan on penalty kicks. Poetic justice?

I wonder if, before last year, Japan had ever won against Germany and USA… Hiroshi could tell us… All series are made to end someday…

Elena Kelly said:

according to wiki, they have defeated USA 3 times, had 1 draw, and lost 43 times to USA.

• Profile picture of David Peak David Peak said 1 year, 8 months ago:

First off, I’m new to this website… it looks great, and really quite interesting. My interest in women’s football was really triggered by last year’s world cup. Really interesting and entertaining games played in a good spirit. So, when four of the women’s Olympic group games were due to be played in Coventry (my home town) I bought tickets. The games were entertaining – but it was the quality and spirit of the games that impressed me most. Anyway, watching any game not involving my own team I do find it difficult to be neutral. And before too long I’m cheering on Canada. So, to tomorrow’s game at Manchester against the USA. I expect the US girls to prevail… but, there’s a bit of me that really rather fancies my adopted to team. Canada can do it – it will be tough and they’ll have to play well. Not, however, a foregone conclusion!

• Profile picture of Elena Kelly Elena Kelly said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Welcome David! This is truly a wonderful site with many fine folks contributing to the conversations. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’m in the USA, so I hope you are right about USA prevailing. But either way, the best team tomorrow will prevail. Again welcome!

• Profile picture of Emilios Papas Emilios Papas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Honestly, this is probably going to be the toughest game for the USA since France and I do think the US will come out on top in this game and I think they will win the entire competition. I hope to see a good game though :)

I join my voice to Elena’s, David, to welcome you. I’ve been here for 45 days only but I feel as if I was here since last century at least. You can have such a feeling only at a cheerful place, surrounded by great and friendly people. That’s the case on WSU and I’m sure you’ll feel the same very quickly :o)

As you’ll see (it can’t stop me being amazed) absolutely Every Thing You Always Wanted to Know About Women’s Football in the world But Were Afraid to Ask is here, with dedicated people from all over the world. And what an A team to manage all that ! They’ll be sanctified !

• Profile picture of Women's Soccer United Women’s Soccer United said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Welcome David :)

Great to hear your thoughts on your Olympic women’s football experience.

I do think this match is going to be a tough, physical contest, there is a lot of history between these two sides. The favourites are USA, but then Team GB were deemed favourites against Canada and we know what happened there.

Maybe this will be extra time and penalties…. Can our nerves take it lol 

David Peak said:

First off, I’m new to this website… it looks great, and really quite interesting. My interest in women’s football was really triggered by last year’s world cup. Really interesting and entertaining games played in a good spirit. So, when four of the women’s Olympic group games were due to be played in Coventry (my home town) I bought tickets. The games were entertaining – but it was the quality and spirit of the games that impressed me most. Anyway, watching any game not involving my own team I do find it difficult to be neutral. And before too long I’m cheering on Canada. So, to tomorrow’s game at Manchester against the USA. I expect the US girls to prevail… but, there’s a bit of me that really rather fancies my adopted to team. Canada can do it – it will be tough and they’ll have to play well. Not, however, a foregone conclusion!

@Lars- @David – I’ve just called Wallace to ask him to send me back the jersey I knitted for him. I’ll just have to turn the horizontal lines into vertical ones and that will be a beautiful Coventry home-made jersey for you, David ! Well, Wallace didn’t really appreciate my call, I’m afraid…

• Profile picture of A-Hamm A-Hamm said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Last win for Canada over USA was 2001. They should beat the US soon.  Hopefully in a friendly and not tomorrow. 

• Profile picture of Lutendo Morris Lutendo Morris said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Canada lost to USA on CONCACAF final, so i don’t think they will able to break US’s winning streak yet, the only team that will reduce US steam is Japan so far. It will be a physical match and Canada will rely on counter-attacks like what they did to GB, but USA will be too strong as ussual. 

@A-Solo I didn’t realise it was that long since they beat the US, they have been getting closer, should be great to watch

• Profile picture of A-Hamm A-Hamm said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Yes and now Herdman said the US uses “illegal” marking in the box. Building quite the rivalry ahead of 2015…should have a great atmosphere at that tourney. Wonder how it will be tomorrow and if any GB people will still show up with GB eliminated. 

I think USA gonna win , i think we’ll see a hard match