New Zealand Football

New Zealand will not be placing bid to host FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019

New Zealand Football announced on Wednesday that it will not be placing an official bid to host the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup or the 2018 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup. After lodging an expression of interest in May along with England, France, South Korea and South Africa; New Zealand Football will not move to the next stage of confirming an official bid.

New Zealand Football CEO Andy Martin said that expressing an interest in the tournament enabled further due diligence to be undertaken into the bidding process and the potential benefits to New Zealand of hosting both events.

“We signalled our interest in May to give ourselves time to investigate the full implications of bringing a tournament of this stature to New Zealand,” Martin said.

“After making a detailed financial assessment regarding the impact of hosting this major event on the football calendar, we concluded that the 2019 event will come too soon for us.

“We remain keen to consider hosting the Women’s World Cup in the future while we continue our significant investment in the development of the women’s game at both grassroots and elite levels.” Last week the Football Ferns recorded two draws with world number six Brazil as they continue to build towards the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada and the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.

Source courtesy of: nzfootball.co.nz
 

France, South Africa and South Korea are now the only three remaining bidders for the tournament.
The English FA withdrew its bid to host the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup earlier this month.

 

1 Comment
  1. Gina West 5 years ago

    And then there were three…

Leave a reply

©2019 WOMEN'S SOCCER UNITED. All rights reserved.

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?