Photo, Jess Foster @NUWFC Player Of The Match ( Photo by Steve White @ImagesBySW )

Northumberland FA Women’s County Cup Semi-fina
Newcastle United Women 3-2 Whitley Bay FC Women
By Stuart Dick (@StuOnSports)

Goals from Newcastle United Women’s Jess Havelock and Steph Eadon, plus a first minute own goal, were just enough to hold off and gritty Whitley Bay Women’s team at Coach Lane.
The away side managed two goals of their own to keep the game close, but also saw Amy O’Brien taken to hospital with a fractured tibia and fibula.
Newcastle United Women started off fast, opening the scoring with in the first minute. After some exceptional work on the left wing by Jess Havelock and Alice Stroyan created a crossing opportunity which was turned in by the Whitley Bay defence after pressure from right winger Jess Foster.
Whitley Bay created a couple of chance at the other end in the next few minutes, but failed to find the back of Laura Wareham’s net early on.
The lively Jess Foster was causing the Whitley Bay defence major problems with her pace, and on 9 minutes her cross was turned behind for a corner. Charlotte Potts lifted in the resulting corner where left back Jess Havelock headed home to give Newcastle a 2-0 lead after just 9 minutes of the game.
Newcastle began to build more pressure on the Whitley Bay goal, but they came up against a very stubborn Catherine Clough in the Bay goal. Stephanie Eadon forced an exceptional diving stop from Clough on 15 minutes when she ran clear of the Whitley defence after an brilliant through ball by strike partner Stacey Crooks.
The trio of Courtney Lock, Steph Eadon and Jess Foster combined down the right hand side to force a series of Newcastle corners, but the side could not re-create their 9th minute set-piece, despite coming close when Captain Sarah Wilson forced another great save from Clough.
Despite Newcastle’s relative dominance, it was Whitley Bay who scored next after a well worked set piece. After a great ball in, a Whitley Bay head connected on the free-kick and the ball sneaked past Wareham in goal.
From the kick-off though Stephanie Eadon scored the goal of the game as she ran past three defenders with pace and power before firing home to restore Newcastle’s two goal lead before the half.
Whitley Bay started the second half well, with only a sharp block from Central defender Carla Armstrong saving Newcastle from conceding an early goal. Steph Eadon, at the other end, made another powerful run with the ball, laying the ball off to Crooks in the box. Crooks shot was blocked however as Whitley Bay defended gallantly.
During this Newcastle spell of dominance, Amy O’Brien suffered a fractured tibia and fibula for the away side after a challenge in the Whitley box. Play was suspended for 35 minutes as an Ambulance was called and the unfortunate player had to be taken to hospital. We wish Amy all the best in her recovery from a terrible injury.
Whitley Bay started the better after the injury, with Armstrong blocking some good play by the Whitley attack. Newcastle created many chances in the second half, but could not convert on any of them allowing Bay back into the game.
On 75 minutes Whitley Bay made it 3-2, when Laura Wareham in Newcastle goal was chipped. The ball sailed over the ‘keeper’s head and into the back of the net to set up a tense last 15 minutes for the home side.
The introductions of Meg Pyper and Sarah Eadon brought renewed pressure on the Whitley Bay goal, with both seeing shots blocked. On 88 minutes Whitley Bay got the golden chance to level it, but they fired over from a one on one chance.
Despite the building pressure, Newcastle United held out for the 3-2 win and setup an all NUWFC final with the reserves, who won 8-0 over Newcastle University.
NUWFC XI – Laura Wareham, Courtney Lock, Sarah Wilson ©, Carla Armstrong, Jess Havelock, Charlotte Potts (Sarah Eadon 70), Jess Foster, Stacey Crooks, Stephanie Eadon, Alice Teasdale (Miriam Neauimeh 87), Alice Stroyan (Meg Pyper 65)

Photo Kayte Brooke @NUWFC player of the match ( Photo by Steve Miller @sportpix999 )

Match Report by NUWFC Reserve Team Manager, Gary Appleton
Northumberland FA Women’s County Cup semi-final
Newcastle United Women Reserves 8-0 Newcastle University Women Firsts

Before the match report myself and Adam would like to thank two players Hannah Marshall and Kayleigh Appleton who due to the size of the squad did not play today and we can only commend there attitude, and still through there obvious disappointments supported and encouraged the girls all through the game “that’s what you call team sprit.”

Sunday saw us in the semi-final of the NFA County Cup up in a local derby against Newcastle University Women’s First Team. With the players smarting from two recent defeats in the league they were in not mood to miss the opportunity of a potential final against our First Team. With a full squad of 16 players to choose from and two hard training sessions behind us our preparation could not have gone any better for a game in which we wanted to prove how hard and competitive the F.A. Reserve league in which we play is, by trying to dictate the game from the start. From the attitude and determination from all the girls leading up to the game Adam and I thought this was a game we could win and see the team rewarded for all their efforts of late with a Cup Final at the end of a long hard season to look forward to.

We started the game on the front foot and within 2 minutes of the game created a chance for Steph Shaw only to see the ball go agonisingly wide. That set the tone for the game and the first of 8 goals coming after 7 minutes seeing great wing play from Jade Blackburn sending a pinpoint cross from the left into the back post for the biggest girl on the pitch Leo Kennedy to send a bullet header into the top corner. Newcastle University were now defending for there lives and keeping us at bay with some good determined defending but with us at full attack and playing some of our best football of the season so far. A second goal came from the impressive Steph Shaw after coming back into the team after a 3 week layoff due to a groin injury to turn quickly in the box giving the keeper no chance from 6 yards. The hard working central midfielder Sam Campion added the 3rd driving a low shot into the net from a tight angle, Steph Shaw saw us going in 4 goals up at half time with a Shaw trade mark finish with the ball been played into her around the 6 yard box and seemly no where to go she turned and shot into the net leaving the University defenders for dead and the keeper wondering where the ball was.

The second half was a carbon copy of the first with Newcastle University struggling to stem the tide and us bringing on fresh legs as substitutes Ellie Hall and Lauren Davidson coming on for (Billy Whiz ) Steph Lorraine and (gentle giant ) Leo Kennedy. The 5th goal was only a matter of time coming and it did come in the 60th minute unfortunately by an o/g, the 65 and 70th minutes of the game saw the 2 goals coming from you know who Steph Shaw to take her tally to 4 for the game.

The 4th goal was the pick of the bunch after a great team contribution which saw the ball played out from our keeper Michaela Raine to centre halves Charlotte Wilson and Robyn Parker who played the ball to midfield dynamo Kate Brookes who spread the ball wide right to Ellie Hall who then passed on to right winger Lauren Davidson who produced a quality cross which Steph Shaw controlled in mid air to flick the ball over the defenders head and volleyed it first time into the roof of the net quality finish from a player playing with confidence.

As a reward for her 4 goals we substituted Steph Shaw and brought on another striker Jasmine Petrie, who has also been out long-term with an ankle injury, and within 5 minutes of coming on scored our 8th and final goal after a defence splitting ball from Amy Perch with pace dribbling around 2 or 3 defenders and coolly slotting the ball into the corner of the net to conclude a game which Newcastle Reserves totally dominated from start to finish.

This was a totally one sided game but a game which could of proved very difficult had the preparation, attitude and determination to succeed not been applied. The above match report includes every name who played there part in this win except Cara Moran. The reason was to highlight a player who after her performance today is that the only person she needs to prove too that she is a quality ladies footballer is herself and the only thing she lacks is her own confidence but after a game like today that has to dispel any thoughts of that.

  1. Women's Soccer United 9 years ago

    Agree @Asa 🙂

  2. Asa 10 years ago

    Great read,thank you Colin 

  3. Women's Soccer United 10 years ago

    Great article, thanks Colin 🙂

Leave a reply

©2022 WOMEN'S SOCCER UNITED. All rights reserved.

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?